The External Hybrid Wholesaler will be actively involved in all aspects of the firm’s Sales, Sales Strategy, Sales Support, Relationship Management and Marketing efforts to Financial Advisors, Banks and Broker Dealers. This unique position offers full cycle sales responsibility (B2B) and will closely resemble an apprenticeship where the candidate will have the opportunity to actively learn and engage with senior leaders and learn the fundamentals of the Firm’s Sales and Marketing strategies and to develop specialty skills in sales and an expertise in behavioral finance.
The Ideal Candidate
You like learning about finance and sharing what you have learned with friends, colleagues, and prospects. You have zero fear when it comes to picking up the phone. Yes, email is easier, but you know that sometimes the call gets it done. You like to find facts, research prospects and clients, and take good notes. You are equally comfortable in-person, on the phone, over Zoom, or exchanging emails. You ask questions. You get answers. You are the client’s first point of contact and under the direction of the Head of Sales, you make opportunities happen.
To be successful in this role, you should foremost be entrepreneurial and self-driven. The ideal candidate must be passionate about financial markets, effectively work independently while continuously identifying opportunities to increase team efficiency and manage multiple priorities in a deadline driven environment.
The candidate should have a very strong work ethic, be entrepreneurial and self-driven, passionate about sales, enjoy traveling one out of every three weeks and work well in a collaborative environment. This independent role is located in our San Mateo, CA headquarters and reports directly to the Head of Sales.
In addition, the ideal candidate has or is:
• Someone that has been cold-calling and ready to take the next step to meet potential investors and close business
• Minimum of 1 year of recent sales experience with a demonstrated track record of sales success (experience selling mutual funds, ETF’s and/or other investment products with an asset management firm and/or distribution organization is a plus but not required)
• An understanding of traditional investment strategies, as well as various investment vehicles including mutual funds, separate accounts, collective investment trusts.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
• Strong attention to detail; so much so that you'll include #fullerthaler in the last line of your resume when you apply
• Strong technology skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook as well as CRM Systems such as Salesforce.com and other related programs
• Critical thinking capabilities, strong initiative, and the aptitude to continue to learn and understand the financial services industry
• Bachelor’s degree required. Finance, Economics, or Business major is a plus but not required. CFA, CIMA, CAIA, or CFP certification is a plus.
• High level of personal integrity and the ability to work independently in a boutique firm with minimal supervision.
• The love for frequent travel across the United States
• Someone that prefers being in the office with the opportunity to learn from peer mentors and grow their career
We are seeking a highly motivated, proactive, entrepreneurial team player with extraordinary communication and follow-up skills to become part of the Fuller & Thaler Sales team. You are the trusted business partner to our clients and in many cases, you will be the first voice a client hears when they call.
On any given day, you might be dominating one (or more) of the following responsibilities:
• Become an expert in behavioral finance including articulating how FT applies this to investing
• Research and identify qualified prospective clients using the firm resources including third party contact databases, and the firm’s Salesforce CRM system
• Nurture relationships with financial advisors to uncover new opportunities for FT’s represented roster of clients
• Master FT’s sales sequence to proactively contact prospective investment professionals across the country via phone and email with the goal of scheduling calls and meetings
• Uncover prospects’ active manager searches, understand search criteria, urgency, and present solutions from FT’s behavioral equity investment solutions
• Maintain, update, and provide research on clients and prospects for the firm’s Salesforce CRM system.
• Qualify inbound leads and add opportunities to the sales funnel
• Proactively support team initiatives and complete special projects and other duties as assigned
• When not traveling, make 90+ cold calls for 5-6 hours per day to prospective clients (typically financial advisors or other investment professionals) to schedule 10 new meetings per week
• Meet with the clients you schedule—by traveling in person or on Zoom
• Persistently work toward exceeding daily and monthly sales activity quotas
• Knowledgeably and promptly answer client questions and address client requests including follow up with technical analysis and other due diligence related questions
• Contribute to the firm’s marketing and sales strategy: Create sales plans for specific client types (Banks, Registered Investment Advisors, Wirehouses, Broker Dealers, etc.), and develop strategies for competitive differentiation.
• Keep abreast of current equity market and economic trends.
• Work towards Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or equivalent designation if applicable.
This role includes working both in the office and traveling outside to prospects and clients. The role should not be considered a “remote” or “virtual” job.
Located in San Mateo, CA, the position may require up to 50% domestic travel. Candidates must reside in the San Francisco Bay Area. If the candidate is not currently living in the bay area, they must provide a detailed reason why they wish to move to the San Francisco Bay area in the cover letter.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with education and experience. The position is full-time and exempt from overtime pay. In addition, we offer one of the most generous and comprehensive benefits packages in our area and industry including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, 401(k) and profit sharing. Expenses for the CFA designation will be reimbursed upon successfully completing each level.
A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment. Fuller & Thaler is an equal opportunity employer. Please refer to our Applicant Privacy Notice which contains important information on how we handle your nonpublic personal information.
Fuller Thaler Asset Management, Inc. is a 100% employee-owned $18 billion boutique equity investment management firm headquartered in San Mateo, CA. Fuller Thaler provides specialized investment management services focusing on market anomalies drawn from insights in behavioral finance. The firm was founded in 1993 with inspiration from two Nobel Prize winning economists, Dr. Daniel Kahneman and Dr. Richard Thaler.