Fuller Thaler is seeking a senior institutional equities trader with strong communication and analytical skills to join our organization. The Trader’s main responsibility is to create, execute, and settle equity trades for all strategies, working alongside the firm’s head trader. Additional responsibilities include trading new accounts, contributions and withdrawals, liquidations, and restriction monitoring. This person is also responsible for account-level maintenance such as modeling, trade allocation and general portfolio administration. General portfolio administration includes creating exception reports, monitoring account drift, holdings deviation and tracking restriction alerts. In addition, this person works closely with the reconciliation and settlements team to resolve account-related issues. In addition to the trading and operations responsibilities, you will be asked to perform other non-trading and non-operations related projects.
• Member of San Mateo, California based trading team responsible for all US trading
• Successfully trade hard-to-trade names (names with high ADV requests, high volatility, wide bid-ask spreads)
• Determine appropriate execution venue and strategy for orders
• Monitor broker program trading, algorithm trading, and direct trading, both progress and performance
• Assist in algorithm/broker/order-flow experiments
• Liaise with portfolio managers to keep them informed of trading throughout the day
• Develop relationships with numerous brokers and coverage personnel to facilitate both efficient order execution and research coverage
• Work with brokers and internal team members to produce value added transactions cost analysis reports, and analyze results to reach performance conclusions
• Trade mutual fund accounts, directed accounts & institutional accounts, including cash flows
• Maintain/update models in model delivery platforms and communicate changes
• Assist with broker execution quantity tie-out and post-trade review
• Assist with internal report requests / RFPs
• Comply with all existing securities regulations
• Work with the settlements team for clearing and settlement procedures and resolve trading-related issues.
• Notify clients, brokers, and custodians of daily trade activity
• Maintain and distribute daily reports for portfolio managers and other office staff
• Handle corporate actions as necessary: mergers, splits, deal stocks, etc.
• Oversee operations of proxy voting as necessary
• Work with Chief Compliance Officer to ensure investment portfolios adhere to client guidelines
• Manage onboarding of new clients including new account setup and approval for separately managed accounts
• Work with client servicing team to prepare quarterly reports and fee statements for clients
• Participate in ad-hoc projects to support other teams within the organization
• Bachelor’s degree, finance or accounting strongly preferred
• MBA degree desirable
• Minimum 5-10 years of buyside trading or similar experience
• Excellent understanding of equity markets
• Strong analytical skills and understanding of basic financial concepts
• Attention to detail and high level of accuracy is critical in this position and is a must
• Ability to handle deadlines, stress, and time critical situations
• Familiarity with sponsor trading desks & trade execution services
• Advent Moxy and APX experience is highly desirable
• Hands-on experience with MS Office Suite, specifically Excel, Word. MS Access and SQL experience is a plus
• High level of personal integrity and the ability to work independently in a boutique firm with minimal supervision
This role is located in our San Mateo, CA headquarters and reports directly to the Head of Trading Operations. This position can expect to earn a base salary between $150,000 to $240,000 annually, plus a discretionary bonus and other benefits some of which are listed below. This represents the expected salary range for this position. Pay is based on a number of factors including education, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience, certifications, and other job and business-related factors. Other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package.
The position is full-time and exempt from overtime pay. In addition to cash compensation, we offer one of the most generous and comprehensive benefits packages in our area and industry including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, 401(k) and profit sharing.
A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment. Fuller Thaler is an equal opportunity employer. Please refer to our Applicant Privacy Notice which contains important information on how we handle your nonpublic personal information.
Fuller Thaler Asset Management, Inc. is a 100% employee-owned $18 billion boutique equity investment management firm headquartered in San Mateo, CA. Fuller Thaler provides specialized investment management services focusing on market anomalies drawn from insights in behavioral finance. The firm was founded in 1993 with inspiration from two Nobel Prize winning economists, Dr. Daniel Kahneman and Dr. Richard Thaler.